Wednesday 13 November 2013

Reading and Research: John Hinde at The Photographe'rs Galley.

When browsing this blog for a first time, my tutor noticed that a possible image for my first assignment of a fairground ride in Cleethorpes (below) reminded him of a couple of images in the John Hinde exhibition at the Photographer's Gallery

http://thephotographersgallery.org.uk/john-hinde-3
In the 1960s, at a time when only black and white was considered serious photography, Hinde not only worked in colour but also ran a very successful postcard company employing other photographers.  A great deal of time was taken over each postcard images.  A couple of these prints feature fairground rides and are taken by Elmar Ludwig and Edmund Nagele.  I particularly like the one of The Dreamland Amusement Arcade at Margate with its wonderful colours and motion blur.  It reminds even more of some of my images of the Christmas Fair in Edinburgh taken in 2012 and shown below.






Personal Evaluation.
These photographs remind me quite a lot of Joel Meyerowitz's images in his book Cape Light, especially those taken in a seaside context.  They fit really well into my location for Assignment 1, as I 'My Neighbourhood' is the seaside resort of Cleethorpes.  In the same way that Meyerowitz's work does, they are typical of what I consider to be slightly faded 60s transparencies although the fairground images are much more saturated.  I like the fairground images for this reason and also because of the motion blur.  I have tried to achieve the same effect in my Edinburgh images above and they also remind me of some firework images I took last Autumn where I used a long exposure to record the movement of the sparklers and then rear curtain flash to light up and stop the movement in the children:

Bibliography:

Mizrahi, I. (2013) John Hinde Postcards [online] Photographer's Gallery. Available from http://thephotographersgallery.org.uk/john-hinde-3 [Accessed 13 November 2013]

No comments:

Post a Comment