Saturday 30 November 2013

A Walk in Broughton Woods; Experiments with My Polariser.

Went for a walk with my wife and dog Jet today in North Lincolnshire.  ( Blog and all photos in Mike's Natural Musings).  As well as other photography I experimented with my polariser.  I regularly use this to darken blue skies and make clouds stand out but I wanted to see what effect it had on other colour saturation, particularly vegetation.  The following images are more or less straight out of the camera with some adjustment to clarity but no adjustment to colour temperature or saturation.
No polariser

Polariser used



No polariser


Polariser used







































It can be seen in each case that the polariser increases the colour saturation.  The effect was most noticeable when used at right angles to the sun.

I have recently come upon an article in the British Journal of Photography by Justin Jin about an environmental and social crisis affecting arctic Russia (written about in another blog).  The article made me think of the problem of fly tipping in Lincolnshire, something I often see when out walking and cycling and also feature on a Look North television documentary.  When I saw the example shown below in Broughton Woods on our walk, I was saddened but it did give me thoughts for a possible subject for assignment 3 later in the course.


No comments:

Post a Comment