Wednesday 6 November 2013

Assignment 1: Your Own Neighbourhood. First Thoughts.

It is unusual to begin a new module with an assignment so it has been interesting to dive in at the deep end.  I live in a small suburb of Grimsby/Cleethorpes which sit on the Humber Estuary.  As I spend a lot of my time at Cleethorpes and on the beaches and salt marshes that border the resort with both my landscape and wildlife photography I have decided to base this assignment on this as it is my 'local patch'.  I also used Cleethorpes as a subject for the very similar assignment in Photography 1: People and Place.  Having decided to use the Cleethorpes area again, I began by looking through my work for P&P and was rather pleased to feel that my work has definitely improved.  I then put those images to one side (apart from one which I shall discuss later) and went out to take some fresh ones especially for this assignment.  As well as conveying a strong sense of place, I also wanted to display a range of styles of photography.

Cleethorpes is small seaside resort adjoining the port of Grimsby.  I wanted to show some evidence on its use as a resort but to me Cleethorpes and its environs mean wide and expansive beaches and salt marshes and big skies.  The estuary is hugely important for wildlife and hundreds of thousands on waders, geese and waterfowl migrate to spend the winter here.  I feel that it is important that my photographs also illustrate this aspect of the area.

Although I have only started this blog today I have been out and about taking photographs for the assignment since I first received my course materials.

I include a selection of the images that I have begun shortlisting and will add to them as the assignment progresses.
One of the larger waders that can regularly be seen at the south end of the resort in an area known as The Fitties.  Little Egrets were at one time rare in this country but are now iconic birds of the east coast.
Snipe
During late summer and early autumn we experienced a series of wonderful sunrises and sunsets.  Here I have placed a groyne in the middle ground with the iconic pier in the background.
The same groyne a few moments later.
No people in this image of the small amusements but the fact that this is a resort used by people is implicit in this shot and the one below.

This image and the one below were taken on Cleethorpes beech at sunrise.  Later in the day in this wonderful early autumn weather, the beach was packed with visitors.  In the background to this shot is a P&O ferry on its way back to Hull from either Zeebrugge or Rotterdam.
A close up of the same groyne.
Cleethorpes is a well known and popular location for kite surfing which is the subject of the following set of images.  In this one the Bull sand fort can be seen in the distance.  There are two of these forts and they were part of the first world war coastal defences.





This shot shows the Haille sand fort as well as the surfer.
An interesting character on the local surf scene.

Although a flat estuarine part of the coast, the area does have its wrecks which are revealed at the lowest tides.
This and the next image show the same wreck with the famous Grimsby dock tower in the background.
Another wreck at the opposite end of the beach with the lighthouse and Spurn Point behind.




A classic wader of the estuary; an oystercatcher.
This and the shot below are snow buntings.  Their only breeding range in this country is the high tops of the Cairngorm Mountains.  We always get a few wintering birds on the dunes in Cleethorpes.

A mixed flock of waders flying in and settling as they are washed off their feeding grounds at high tide.  I was pleased to capture them against a wonderful sunrise.  These are just a fraction of the many thousands of birds that winter here.
I'm not sure whether it is a bit of a risk including this long exposure panning shot looking out over the beach.  I like the layers formed by the salt marsh in the foreground, then beach, sea and finally sky.
Sunrise at the south end of Cleethorpes in the are known as The Fitties, just before the sun popped up above the clouds.
End of season maintenance on one of the beach chalets.
Cleethorpes front is a favourite for runners.
Mountain biker taking a well earned rest.


Waiting for customers.
Visitors enjoying a rest and looking out to sea; the pier in the background.
The cycle lane on the sea front is always popular.
Every seaside resort needs its pier and donkey rides.
A visit to the pier is a must on a day at the seaside.
Cleethorpes sea front is always a popular gathering spot for 'bikers'.  Here a gleaming Harley awaits its owners return.
One of our more unconventional visitors.  
He was more than happy to have his photo taken.
Two visitors standing on the Greenwich Meridian line whilst reading the information board.  I have deliberately included the shadow of the sign and distance post pointing to, among other destinations, the north and south poles.
Salt marsh, big sky and Spurn Point.  I liked the warm autumn colours in this scene.

No comments:

Post a Comment