Tuesday 4 November 2014

Assirnment 3: Response to Tutor's Comments, Image Retakes.

Rather belatedly I have finally got around to retaking some of the images for Assignment 3.
Image 1

It was felt that image one was spot on in almost every respect but I had not held the piece of jetsam in such a way that made it visually interesting.When I returned yesterday I couldn't believe it when I rediscovered the same  pot of paint.  With the comment clear in my head and a copy of the original image on my phone I set up the shoy again this time ensuring that I held the tin more upright to reveal the writing and hide the rusty bottom which dominates the shot.  The results are shown below:-




Of the three images I prefer the middle one.  I feel that I have not recreated the shot exactly and I have a better angle in the original one but I do take the point about the rusty bottom of the can. Taking a self portrait is a bit hit and miss and I was concentrating more on revealing the can than the angle of the shot.

Image 2


This was also thought to be good, although I ought to have used a more colourful object. Although he suggests that I might not want to re shoot such a complicated shot, having revisited the location I felt it would be a shame not to do so.  The results are shown below:-


I tried two different objects for this, again trying for as exact a replica as I could but again struggling somewhat with a self-portrait using my compact supported on a walking pole stuck in the sand.  I prefer the first shot as it is more obvious what the object is and the bright red lid of the coffee container does stand out more than the old shoe in the original.

Images 4, 6 and 7
Images 4,6 and 7, along the same lines as 3, lacked some colour. 



On my return visit I took some more shots using brightly coloured items of jetsam:-





Image 7 was a macro shot which I shall replace with the bright red stopper from the retakes.  Of the other 3, I prefer the old glove, as it fits well with one of the studio shots and the green sealant is more interesting than the juice container.  It asks the questions where did it come from, what was being sealed and is the oozing left-over sealant safe?

Image 5


I found this shot the most difficult to improve.  My tutor suggested that I look at the negative spaces within the frame and he played aorund with some crop overlay tools to reveal the structure of the composition more clearly.  The thing that was most obvious to me was that I had not centred the large red to at the beginning of the spiral. I recreated my original arrangement as best as I could and overlayed it with a piece of clear plastic with the overlays drawn on it to illustrate this.

Next I moved the tops around until I had  the large red one centered and some of the tops on the diagonals.  This still left negative space at the bottom left but without extending the spiral I feel this is unavoidable.



Finally I removed the plastic and supporting corks and took another shot.

I still feel that there is very definitely a large negative space at the bottom left which needs filling. The only way I can see to do this is to extend the spiral.

Still not happy with these images, I have had another go adding a few more bottle tops to enlarge the spiral and fill that space in the bottom left, whilst still keeping the colours in the order of the spectrum.

This shot still has my plastic overlay in place to show that the centre of the spiral is in the centre of the image and also that I have continued to place tops on the diagonals.

Now I have removed the plastic overlay, I am much happier with the image.  The image looks more complete and I have filled the empty bottom left section.

Construction and photographing these spirals got me thinking about others and I decided to photograph an ammonite, both the actual fossil and also its impression to reveal its spiral nature.


I discovered from Wikipedia that a spiral has two definitions:
a. A curve on a plane that winds around a fixed center point at a continuously increasing or decreasing distance from the point.b. A three-dimensional curve that turns around an axis at a constant or continuously varying distance while moving parallel to the axis; a helix.
My work only covers this first definition and there are several variations of a 2D spiral:
  • an Archimedian spiral
  • a Cornu spiral
  • Fermat's spiral
  • A hyperbolic spiral
  • a Lituus
  • a Logarithmic spiral
  • a spiral of Theodorus
The one I have constructed would appear to be an Archimedian spiral.
An Archimedian Spiral

Spirals have long been a source of inspiration in art, examples being Robert Smithson's Earthwork 'Spiral Jetty' at the Great Salt Lake in Utah, Andy Goldsworthy's work and also that of Martin Waters.
A logarithmic spiral adheres to the mathematical Fibinaci sequence and examples are often found in nature: nautilus shell, our spiral galaxy, sunflower heads, a romanesque cauliflower and the ammonite illustrated above.

Learning Logs or Blogs
It was suggested that I might expand on how Waters and Orozco have influenced my approach.  I have done this in my final submission notes, both in the word document and my final submission blog.

Referencehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spiral

No comments:

Post a Comment