Tuesday 6 January 2015

Assignment 5: Covering an Event; The Tour de France. Response to Tutor's Comments.

Yet again I was delighted with my tutor's comments for this assignment.  It began:-

A great assignment Mike, your passion for both the event and the photography comes through clearly. You've meticulously delivered to the assignment brief and the interest in your shots by a potential client gives a nice finishing touch to the assignment.

You've got great coverage, key moments and a lot of human interest. You've set a high standard for yourself in your selects and it’s abundantly clear that this is the outcome of a lot of dedicated effort. 

It was felt, however, that some images had been over-processed although it was commented that this was purely a matter of opinion.  To this end I revisited the images and decided on some to reprocess.  In Lightroom I made virtual copies of some of my shots in order to save the original processing and then began from scratch with the originals, apart from the cropping.  This time I only set the white and black points, adjusted the exposure, reduced the highlights and opened up the shadows slightly if necessary.  I didn't adjust the clarity, vibrance or saturation at all this time.  I think that, personally, I prefer my original processing, but, as my tutor says it is a matter of personal taste.  I actually think that it might have been the quality of the light on the second day: it was the middle of a very bright day and I did have problems with highlights and shadows.  For this type of photography I prefer the soft light of a bright but overcast day.

I include my reprocessed images below.  The originals can be found in my previous blog and I shall submit both for final assessment.






No comments:

Post a Comment