Wednesday 16 July 2014

Reflections on Part 3 of the Course.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this part of the course.  Looking back at my last reflections, I note that the subject for Assignment 3, photographing flotsam and jetsam in the Humber Estuary came from a comment I had made about not liking the ugly and my tutor referring to a comment made by Picasso: " The ugly may be good, the beautiful never will be."  I noted that I hoped to show that the ugly can be good if not beautiful.  I hope that I have gone some way towards doing this.  I have certainly enjoyed completing the assignment and have given quite a few people not a little amusement when they have observed what I was doing!!

I have enjoyed writing captions and particularly enjoyed working on magazine layouts.  Although the brief for assignment 3 did not require it, it gave me a great deal of satisfaction making layouts and adding them to my blog.

I have continued to try to read widely and have acquired some of the books suggested by my tutor.  I have also been using Harvard referencing for all of my research so that I am ready when it comes to the essay in Assignment 4 and have tried to apply my reading and research to my own photography.

Although I have visited several local exhibitions, I feel that I need to get to some larger, photographic exhibitions.  To this end I have booked a day in London to visit the Travel Photographer of the Year exhibition at the Royal Geographical Society, somewhere that I have long wanted to visit in its own right.  I also plan to visit Landscape Photographer, Charlie Waite's exhibition Silent Exchange at the National Theatre.  Both of these exhibitions are to see contemporary work, so to address the balance I plan to visit the V&A in the hope of seeing some work by Bill Brandt or some other historical work.

No comments:

Post a Comment