Wednesday 16 July 2014

Assignment 3: Response to Tutor's Comments.

Again I was delighted with my tutor's comments on this assignment and with how thorough he has been.  He begins with "You have persevered with a demanding brief and delivered some strong and confident images".  He continues, "This is a good submission Mike......".  As would be expected though not everything is perfect and there is room for improvement.  "I feel the assignment could be taken just a little further to maximise its potential at assessment......."

It was felt that image one was spot on in almost every respect but I had not held the piece of jetsam in such a way that made it visually interesting.  I will return and re-shoot this.

My second image was also good, although I ought to have used a more colourful object.  Although he suggests that I might not want to re shoot such a complicated shot I will do so; it is no hardship to return to one of my favourite locations, despite a five mile walk!!

Image 3 was spot on.

Images 4,6 and 7, along the same lines as 3, lack some colour so I will return and take some more using brightly coloured items of jetsam.

I shall re-photograph the spiral in image 5 along the lines suggested but image 8, the array of sea glass is fine.

It was felt that the studio shots 9 and 10 were the key images.  He felt that they worked really well in recontextualising these found objects to create something new and that I demonstrated a great eye for colour, form and balance.  It was felt that these are successful images but it was suggested that I might expand it a little, with two or three more compositions submitted as a set of quality prints for assessment.  This I shall do.

One or two comments were made regarding my Learning Log/Blog.  It was suggested that I might be a little more specific regarding how two of my sources influenced my approach and I need to tighten up my Harvard referencing slightly.  Other than this it was felt that the contextual section of my log is looking quite solid and I was reading widely.

So, all-in-all a very satisfying report with some very good pointers, which I shall act on.

Jobs to do.


  1. Return to location to re-shoot images 1 and 2 and to take some more shots in the mould of image 3 with more brightly coloured jetsam.  So half a dozen more location images.
  2. Re-photograph the spiral composition.
  3. Include two or three more studio images and make prints of the studio shots for assessment.
  4. Tweak my Learning Log/Blog slightly.

No comments:

Post a Comment