Monday 16 June 2014

Assignment 3: A Photographic Commission; Returning for Some More Images.

Saturday was a fine and warm day, but pleasingly overcast so I returned for some more in situ images:



















I am pleased with these images and glad that I made the effort to return.  I like the interesting detail in the skies and am happy with the way the jetsam features large in them, yet the environment is still shown to good effect.  It amused me to find the Holsten crate as I had taken a long exposure shot of it in the surf a few weeks previously.  This reminds me of artist David Nash who works with wood and is based in Blaenau Festiniog, North Wales.  I really enjoyed his exhibition at the Yorkshire Sculpture Park a couple of years ago.  Several years ago Nash sculpted a huge wooden sphere which he let free in the local river and then photographed its progress out to sea over the following years.  Although only weeks apart, when I rediscovered my beer crate, the delight I felt must be akin to how Nash himself felt every time he rediscovered his sculpture.  More in line with Nash is the drifwood image on this page which I had photographed three years previously a couple of miles up the coast.  It makes me wonder what tide could have moved this huge piece of timber so effortlessly.

Rephotographing the glass array.
I spent some time and effort this morning re-photographing my sea glass array.  I was careful to ensure that no pieces touched and the space around all of the pieces was reasonably even.  I also wanted it to be as square as possible.  This is the best of around twenty rearrangements.

No comments:

Post a Comment