Wednesday 12 February 2014

Dale Mackie: Blackholes and Supernovas, Abbey Walk Gallery, Grimsby

Abbey Walk Gallery is my local independent gallery in Grimsby.  As well as featuring the work of local artists, artists of such renown as Picasso have been displayed.  Dale Mackie is a graduate in Visual Studies  and he has a studio at the gallery where he produces his work in charcoal and paint.  I have always been an admirer of his work and was recently particularly attracted to an exhibition of his latest body of work, Black Holes and Supernovas, inspired by images taken from the Hubble Telescope.  It is perhaps this which made me even more keen to see the work as I am fascinated by the night sky.  I have often photographed the moon using my 500mm lens, have acceptable images of Jupiter and some of it's moons and have experimented both with starscapes and star trail photography.(See my  Personal Photography Blogs 01 and 02).  I would love to become more involved with astrophotography.  So it was this background that I went along to see Dale's work.  Unlike much of his previous work which is of local scenes and of people at work on the docks, steelworks and at Whitby, Black Holes and Supernovas are abstracts; his first for 8 years.  They are all very large canvasses and are in bright colours with, often, geometric shapes.  With the interest I have in astrophotography and Dale's paintings it makes me wonder about experimenting with some abstract photography, perhaps using some of the effects in photoshop or by using the technique of Intentional Camera Movement.

http://www.dalemackie.com/

http://www.abbeywalkgallery.com/

Some examples of my ICM photography. To view large, click on an image.





No comments:

Post a Comment